Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Birdie num num

I found some bird seed in an old costume bin. It was wrapped up in an old pair of pantyhose and into a fair sized ball. For the life of me, I can't remember what that would be for... But I knew I didn't want to keep it around to attract rodents. I took it outside and made an offering on the Buddah. Feed the birds, tuppence a boob.

In no time at all I had my first customer. Many, many customers all of them camera shy. But I liked the little twitter sounds they made all over the yard and I decided I wanted a bird feeder. Or as Lyle called it, "an old lady bird feeder."

So I took him to the store and let him pick out the least "old lady" styled bird feeder he could find. I didn't care what it looked like. But I did want to make sure it was for smaller birds as we have very large crows that eat Burger King garbage in our front yard. I didn't want to attract any of that to my back sanctuary.

We also got one that featured a slick roof that moves slightly to prevent any squirrels from climbing down the chain and feasting on the seeds.

I guess we need to hang it somewhere different.

Here's our orchid plants in full bloom in the back of the yard. They are stunning and the only secret I can tell you for growing them is to live in Southern California, place them in fairly shady location, water infrequently and completely forget about them. It's working for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment