Sunday, December 6, 2009

Pack Light Bag Lady

How to let go of all that baggage


While preparing for a very brief trip to NYC I was forced to strategize about how to pack due to the fact that my luggage would be with me 90% of the time. This was a daunting task considering how many “what if” situations I could come up with in my head. The constant motivation was the thought of me lugging more than one suitcase up and down those subway steps. Luckily I narrowed it down to 1 bag and a purse (which is just about right for a day trip) and figured out these three simple tips to keep you easy and breezy during your travels.


1. Cut the Crap

Wherever your destination may be, think about your purpose for going, the time of year, and what part of the week you’re going. All these are important factors when deciding what to bring and what to leave behind. If this is a business trip, why bring the party dress? More often than not, skipping out on the after-hours drinks can save you from creating inappropriate relationships. The problem with over-packers is packing for every possible situation that may arise. The solution to that problem is to limit yourself by limiting your wardrobe.

If this is a time of year where you would need more layers, pack an extra sweater or two. If it’s smoldering outside and requires that you shower more than usual, then extra pieces are ok. But if you’re going on a trip lets say from Monday- Wednesday, the sequin leggings can wait to get their shine on the weekend. So really edit down to the bare necessities.

2. Pick One Color Scheme

When traveling, there really should be no need for six pairs of shoes. It only makes sense to coordinate all of your looks with one or two pairs of shoes. Pick a flat shoe for heavy walking and getting through the airport, and pack a heeled shoe (if necessary) in a different color to add variety. Another great idea is to recycle a cardigan or jacket to put with another look to save on bag space. Think of it as a collection; the collection has to flow and work together to create a cohesive look. You never know, this could help you develop a distinctive personal style.

3. Prioritize

Make a list of all the items you need to take by level of importance, and then eliminate the last couple of items. Personally, I realized that I could have done without my slippers (they were a gift from my boyfriend, I had a mushy moment) which could have made room in my luggage for something I had in my purse, therefore making everything a little lighter.

Think about all your beauty products. Can you simplify by sporting a natural look while on your trip? Commit to one hairstyle to prevent packing tons of sprays and serums, and since your clothes are coordinated your accessories should be minimal as well, right?

Believe me, I understand your fear of wishing you would have brought the blue shirt too, or your 5 different sizes of hoop earrings. But choices have to be made…risk looking like a crazy bag lady or not letting the “maybes” tie you down? The choice is yours.

-Doni W.

No comments:

Post a Comment