Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Walk it out!

I just found this totally groovy website that gives your neighborhood (or any neighborhood) a "walkability score."

(via Treehugger) So how walkable is it where you live? Find out with Walk Score, which "uses a patent-pending algorithm to calculate the walkability of an address based on:
* The distance to walkable locations near an address.
* Calculating a score for each of these locations.
* Combining these scores into one easy to read Walk Score."

You type in your address and it puts it on a Google map and gives it a score. 70 to 90 is very walkable; 90 to a hundred is a walker's paradise.
I typed mine in a got a delightful 86. And I must say my neighborhood is very walkable. The article I found this through suggested you use this tool when planning your next move but I think you could also use it when looking at vacation hotels.

I also looked at this handy guide and discovered that in all of Los Angeles we live int eh most walkable part of the city, Mid-City West (who knew that was even where I lived?) which scored the highest in the city with a 92. I knew I lived here for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment