Thursday, October 22, 2009

Robin Givhan Speaks Her Mind




Lots of people choose their roles and play them very well. But with Robin Givhan I refuse to believe her "tell it like it is" columns are apart of a character to stir up controversy. The Pulitzer Prize winning fashion journalist for the Washington Post ruffles peoples feathers with nearly every key stroke. Recently I read her latest article titled "Yes, Thin's In-- But Why Is That A Surprise", and her suggestion that the ideal model is super thin because the general population is obese, led to countless comments...and almost none of them sided with Givhan.

I personally saw the point she was making. The fashion industry is a fantasy world that creates images of what we all aspire to be, and if the sight of obesity frustrates the industry (not just because of looks, but because of health and discipline) than the image of thin models will be the standard.

I was curious to know how Givhan felt about the back lash she always receives because of her articles and here's what she told me:

"I appreciate your note. I write what I believe to be true and I try to be fair and decent in the way that I express my opinions. It's pretty much as simple as that. While I am curious to know what readers think, I find it difficult to read some of the comments posted. Anonymity seems to bring out the worst in people.

-Robin"
With a long list of angry readers and a front row seat during fashion week, Robin continues to shine light on fashion from a totally different angle. And for that a Pulitzer is well deserved.
-Doni W.

No comments:

Post a Comment