Thursday, October 15, 2009

There's Something in the Water

I’m just as entertainment crazed as the next person. I give in to reality shows, get hooked on the newest club song, and obsess over the new IT fashion item. But I’m no fool. Sometimes it’s hard for me to not read between the lines take a deeper look at some of the things celebs do and the messages they’re sending out.

Recently when Kendra Wilkinson from The Girls Next Door and Kourtney Kardashian announced they were pregnant--almost simultaneously--a lot of red flags went off in my head. Neither is married (although Kendra is engaged) and both are known to be wild and crazy party girls. Hmmm, pretty typical for today’s society…but should it be?!?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m just as modern and open minded as the next person, but I personally did not take a liking to these two being pregnant. Although their shows may not be intended for younger audiences, avoiding the media and its news coverage is virtually impossible and their footsteps are not for all to follow.

These girls are young, beautiful, rich, and famous and inevitably very influential. Without thought, the majority of us now disregard the fact that in one season, Kourtney made out with a girl, invited a family friend into her bed, and then ended up pregnant by her ex-boyfriend. And “The Girls Next Door” were in a polygamist relationship and took their clothes off for a living, just a typical day in La La Land, right? This is just a little too much for tv when you step back and take a look at it.

Another pregnancy shocker that people are nonchalant about is the upcoming supermodel Jourdan Dunn. At only 19 the single model skipped out on all but one runway show this season because of her new bulging belly. This morning I picked up the November issue of Teen Vogue; Dunn and Chanel Iman smile on the cover under the caption “Teen Supermodels”…and I couldn’t help but to think “and mommy”. Models mature very quickly in the world of fashion, and I’m sure Dunn is very capable of raising a child--maybe more capable then Kendra and Kourtney—but I have to be completely honest, this threw me for a loop. And it threw her mom for a loop as well. In the Teen Vogue article Dunn says her mom blamed herself and doesn’t want her daughter to go through what she did, because she was pregnant with Jourdan at the same age. What I do admire about this situation is that Dunn admits that it’s not an easy thing to handle, which is something her fans need to know.

I don’t know. I’m still wrapping my head around this and trying to figure out why the news of these pregnancies doesn’t sit well with me. Your opinions and input could clarify it for me…so I’m now turning the comment section into an open forum! Have at it, and let me know how you feel about it.

-Doni W.

No comments:

Post a Comment