Sunday, February 14, 2010

Wang is the Next Jacobs


I can't lie, most of my posts are inspired from what I tweeted last night, but that's beside the point. The subject at hand is fashions obsession with Alexander Wang and how I feel he will be the next Marc Jacobs. Just a few brief comparisons....they both attended Parsons, they both won the CFDA Wowenswear Designer of the Year award, and they both chose to live stream their shows this season.

Wangs four year old label has commanded respect from all his peers and fashion icons...Diane von Furstenburg was sitting front row at his show last night and when most editors decide to pick and choose whose show they'll be going to see...every single Marie Claire editor RSVP'd without thinking twice. Wang has become the one to watch. And watch we did. Yesterday around 5pm SHOWstudio.com streamed his show live and wherever you were on earth you could feel the energy and excitement when the lights went off and the music began to play.

Aleander Wang F/W 2010

I have to admit, the clothes weren't moving me like other collections, but it was true to his aesthetic and like I told Christopher Nic via Twitter, the retail versions of these looks will be much more wearable. And this too can be said for Marc Jacobs past collections, not everything he sends down the runway is gold. There are shoes in the fashion closet right now that I wouldn't stick my pinky toe in.

Remember this...
Marc Jacobs F/W 2008

What makes me put these two in the same category is the excitement you see at the mention of their name, or how someone reacts picking up a Marc Jacobs or Alexander Wang bag. Alex is still a babe within his career but he has already accomplished some major things and you can't open a magazine without seeing something from Alexander Wang...and guess what? He's not an advertiser. In just a small amount of time I'm sure we'll see multiple divisions within the Wang brand (already he has accessories and T by Alexander Wang) and lots of stand alone stores. He is headed in the right direction.

Now c'mon sample sale!

-Doni W.

No comments:

Post a Comment