Friday, July 17, 2009

Akris Celebrates 20 Years

Albert Kriemler's understated approach is what informs his designs for the 87-year-old Akris label. This fall Kriemler is celebrating a huge milestone for any designer: 20 years at Bergdorf Goodman. Ever since he traveled to New York in 1979 at age 19, it was his dream to have Akris in Bergdorf's.

"I wrote to her for many years, until she appeared. She came in in a brown leather Chanel suit, she looked fabulous, and she said, 'Albert, I'm here. You've been writing to me for years and I want to have a look at your collection.' And she placed the first order."

And now, two decades later, the famous brand continues to be a winner for Bergdorf's, garnering $1 million at a trunk show just last year. For the fall show, Kriemler looked to architecture for inspiration. "It's for women who want something that is decidedly not here today and gone tomorrow."

Couldn't have said it better myself.


-Christopher Nic.

No comments:

Post a Comment