Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Another Legend Dies...



If you haven't heard by now, I hate to be the barer of bad news, but Vibe Magazine is shutting down shop. The publication founded in 1993 by Quincy Jones (Thee Quincy Jones) has concluded that the economic situation we are in has strained the magazine to the point of no return. One of the few hip hop/urban focused magazines, you could ask any new hip hop or r & b artists and I can guarantee one of their dreams was to grace the cover of Vibe Magazine. Well those dreams will have to be altered and the entire Vibe staff will now be added to the overgrowing unemployment pool. I'm shaking my head as I write because it's more than a shame that this economy is not only effecting everyone personally, but taking down companies that people have grown so attached to.

Vibe's last cover will feature the love birds Christina Milian and The Dream, which I had mixed feelings about. It's such a sad thing to see this magazine go, and for The Dream's career to just be really reaching were it should be and Christina to have had such a luke warm career, I'd rather see some heavy hitters take Vibe out with a bang. Jay and Bey??? Now that would've been dope! And Vibe might've sold enough copies to stay in business!

My buddy JT made a good point earlier today on the subject. He said for Vibe to be so important to the hip hop community, why won't these flashy and big-spending artists pool some money together to ensure that the magazine stays running?? It would only be showing appreciation for the magazine that practically MADE their careers right??? Right.

Hopefully the phoenix will rise from the ashes. R.I.P Vibe

-Doni W.

No comments:

Post a Comment