Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Smooth Operator: Nate Calloway


I don't know a single soul who doesn't like to hear the smooth sound of an amazing R & B singer. All the crazy runs and melodies just tugs at every one's heart and sucks them into the song even more. Well I must say, Mr. Nate Calloway is taking the R & B game to another level. Don't believe me??? Check this out...



Told ya! And if you thought that was good, the best is yet to come because I've had his myspace tracks on repeat constantly. Calloway not only sings like a dream, he's gifted with a pen as well. With Brian McKnight, Kenneth (Baby Face) Edmonds, and Tank as writing influences, he writes songs that focus on love and relationships (I'm that gets him extra points with the ladies!). So of course I couldn't introduce you to Nate Calloway and not get a few questions from him just for you, right? Check out our interview with him below.



LL: What inspires you the most?

NC: What inspires me the most is to know that I'll have a platform to display the gift that was birthed in my blood line... So many of my family is equally talented as me, but never had the opportunities I have to make it mainstream...

LL: Are you currently in a group or pursuing a solo career?

NC: I'm currently in a group right now... Been in the group for about a month actually... With 2 other guys... John Houston and J Drew Sheard (JDS)... JDS is already signed to Star Trak, Pharrell Williams' label, as a producer... Pharrell called him and told him he wanted to sign a group and wanted JDS to form it... JDS then called myself and John Houston... We plan to have the deal signed with Star Track before the year is out... Btw, other artists on Star Track include N.E.R.D., The Clipse, Robin Thicke to name a few.

LL: What void do you think you'll fill within the industry?

NC: The void that we'll fill in the industry is 1 that is definitely needed... We're gonna be a mixture of Rock/Pop/R&B... We're gonna be 3 young black men that represent an entire culture of talented individuals that don't fall into the category that people would profile us into... Just because we're black, with soulful voices, people will expect us to come into the industry like an R&B group, but we're far from it.



LL: What's the most satisfying part about music to you?

NC: The most satisfying part of music to me is melodies and chord variations... I'm from a church (gospel) background, so chord changes and melodic sequences really satisfies my ears...

LL: Who would you like to be compared to? and who would you hate to be compared to?

NC: I'd like us to be compared to any artists that made a difference in music... Any1 who did anything outside the box contrary to outside opinions and were successful at doing so...

LL: Who would you love to work with?

NC: There are so many artist we'd like to work with and am sure we'll get the opportunity to do such... Artist like Kanye West, Pharrell himself, Keri Hilson, Lupe Fiasco

LL: What would you like to avoid once you reach your desired level of success?

NC: Once I make it to the place where we've solidified our place in the industry, I'd like to avoid the negative lime light. I feel like I can touch the world, or who I come in contact with anyway, on so many levels, and negative light just brings the wrong type of energy towards that effort.

LL: Where would you be without music?

NC: Without music I'd probably be trying to get to the NBA lol... I have a strong passion for basketball outside of music.

Well I'm glad Nate isn't without music, I'm sure us music lovers would appreciate him much more than a basketball fan. If you want to hear more from Nate (and I know you do) follow him on twitter, add him on myspace, and subscribe on youtube.

-Doni W.

No comments:

Post a Comment