Monday, June 15, 2009

What's Wrong With Being P.H.I.L.T.H.Y.???

So to start off music week, I figured I'd start with someone who I've personally seen slaughter some MC's in a rap battle(seriously...it wasn't fair). P.H.I.L.T.H.Y. from Lansing, MI is one of the few artists who not just gives God a shout out here and there he considers himself a "Bible Thumping Sneaker Gripper", and list Jesus Christ as his employer on facebook..."He's always hiring So if you need an app. holla at me". Well let the church say Amen! A unique mix of dope lyrics, soul, God, and style makes up P.H.I.L.T.H.Y. and fortunately we got to ask him a few questions. Check it out.


LL: What's the hardest part about getting into the music industry?

PH: The hardest part is staying patient and true to your self its so easy to feel pressure from trends and contemplate conforming or doing certain type of songs definitely in cases when there's no money coming in your pocket ....Constant pay with no label is hard too. To sum that up I think the hardest part is not losing your self just to get your deal.

LL: Do you mind when people compare you to other artists?

PH: Yes and No...part of it is like I'm flattered to be compared to such great artist but also I want my identity I want to be respected as an individual an original. It also gets whack when you get compared to certain artist not even because of your music , but instead because of your style of dress and or the way you carry yourself that's when it gets mad annoying.


LL: Explain BLAT!

PH: BLAT! has a rich history lol naw but seriously first it was just a sound we made to say we like what we heard or saw instead of clapping. Then the homey JYoung said he felt like are squad was the black version of the rat pack then the group got more diverse but we still feel were on some new Harlem renaissance Rat pack type movement.


LL: When people hear the name Philthy what do you want to come to mind?

PH: I want the thoughts of an inspiring creative artist who represents the have nots the forgotten people and shows them there's hope to rise up and grab your dreams.When did you decide to pursue music as a career? I decided to really pursue music in 2006.I had just quit a group I was in because I knew this was what I wanted to do with my life. It was the reason I woke up every morning to spread the message I felt was embedded in me.
LL: Where would your life be without music?

PH: I don't know where my life would be like I'd be a lest joyous enjoyable person I know that. I'd probably have a degree and be working at a job I hate wondering why I felt like my emotions had no outlet.


Make sure you show Mr. P.H.I.L.T.H.Y. some love at the following links, and check his myspace for upcoming shows.
-Doni W.

No comments:

Post a Comment