Tuesday, June 16, 2009

For Your Ears Enjoyment

I have always been a fan of new and upcoming artists. With that being said, I would like to share with you all the dope sounds of Millionaire Rob (born Marcus Roberts). This 80's baby (he doesn't tell his age, lol) had his first encounter with hip hop in 1992 when he would listen to his sisters cassette tape of Dr. Dre's album The Chronic. Marc went to college for a second but soon realized that he has a different passsion and started writing. After about a year, he began turing this writing into songs, which he tells me is easier said than done. Nevertheless, Roberts was determined to make a name for himself. "Indulgence isn't a bad thing if your perfecting a craft", Rob says. Along with his bomb ass music and style, his determination makes him just that much more intriguing to watch. Luckily I was able to get a word with the hip hop artist, so check out this exclusive interview with Mr. Dope.

CN: When did you really start getting involved in music?

MR: I was always intrigued by music of all different genres but I was hooked on hip-hop since I was around eight years old. Mostly by the language, flow and the expression of the artists. I knew one day I would be involved, but dreamed more of being on the business side more-so behind the scenes. But when things didn't pan out on the business side of the game, which is my A-side, I decided to try the B-side, which is rapping. At first I was going to just write for my artists and others, but after finding myself expressing more of my personal feelings and emotions I decided to try it out myself. Not having a real musical background it was a difficult feat. But with persistence being one of my strongest characteristics I would lock myself in the booth ‘til I felt my ears were bleeding from the music coming out of the headphones, ‘til I learned the style that I have today.

CN: What are some influences in and outside of the music industry?

MR: Muhamed Ali, Curtis Jackson, Michael Jordan. Muhamed Ali, his confidence in and out of the ring is something that inspires me in everyday life. Curtis Jackson is one of the “business man” in the game, he stayed focused on him and his crew and never cared what anyone else had to say, He was able to bring so much attention to his projects and amassed a lot of cash very quickly. Michael Jordan of course because he is the greatest, sickest, retired, above all endured the loss of his father and was still unstoppable on the court.


CN: Where did the name 'Millionaire Rob' come from?

MR: It comes from an understanding of the Law Of Association. It is more-so a state of mind like a place you go to reach a plateau of excellence, simply put I'm not a millionaire yet, but I do everything as if I am already there.

CN: How does your music differ from other artists?

MR: My sound, some artists have a great voice or a different voice, wordplay ability, the use of metaphors, melody and swag or should I say style. Well I took all of that and fuzed into my tracks. Also, my music makes sense. Take any one of my tracks, each and every line is related to each other. There is always a story. Take Bonjour for instance, when I say ”Nobody has to know/Unless you go back like ohh snap/ Girl that ni**a Rob is one cold cat/ She like "what he do"/ "Girl he fu**ed my like he rap.” That’s a story plus it’s what a woman would want to hear so it’s intriguing and adds mystery. Now add on the fact that I had used a melody tailor made for that track and you have something that is very different from what you are hearing these days.

CN: Are there any other projects you plan on doing in the future?

MR: We have been working on a documentary looking for distribution at the moment, I don't really want say too much. I would rather show the world first. But, most importantly more music, better music, and more music. Slow Burn II coming soon!

CN: If there is one thing you want to leave people with when listening to your music, what would it be?

MR: On tracks like "I Believe" I speak on the loss of a family member from two different perspectives, but throughout the track I expressed different feelings on how your mind and emotions can battle. On the track I state "I know I aint right/ I'd rather be wrong/ Cuz I know just like the song/ That one day you'll come back home." It’s like I know I'm lying to myself but that is what you have to do at times to survive mentally and emotionally when dealing with a loss you might not be able to cope with. Overall, I want people to think deeply,have someone to relate to and express themseves through my art form.

CN: If you could do a collabo with any artist in the world, who would it be? Why?

MR: It's a tie between Mute Math & Death Cab. They are both bands I believe have just an amazing sound. They each make music in such a phenomenal way. There are certain tracks you can play over and over, never getting tired of them. It's because the song structure and the overall sound are astonishing. These are things I've learned from bands and set out to do on Slow Burn. It's music you don't have to pay attention to to enjoy, but if you actually listen you will take pleasure in it even more. Plus, I'm not too excited to work with rappers today. I feel like it's too much the same right now as far as substance and style go. I believe that's why T-pain received such a huge success, he did what was so different at the moment.


Check him out on Youtube and MySpace.
And if you're really feeling Rob and his music, click here.


-Christopher Nic.

No comments:

Post a Comment